UAV LiDAR offers cost and time savings for earthmoving professionals
Around the world, gigatons of earth are moved by man every year. From Boston’s “Big Dig” estimated at 16 million cubic yards of earth moved, to the Panama Canal’s estimated 268 million cubic yards, it’s clear moving earth is big business.
Big business can mean big profits. But how do you know that you are estimating work for a client as accurately as possible or, if you are the client, that you are paying for what actually got moved? The recent emergence of light detection and ranging technology (LiDAR) for use in monitoring and calculating volumes could be your solution.
LiDAR’s geo-referenced 3D laser scanning and mapping capabilities support the accurate estimating, monitoring, documenting, and billing for earth work projects, keeping your projects moving efficiently and increasing profitability.
Why use LiDAR for earthmoving projects?
Whether you are building roads or developing site pads, managing a mining operation or monitoring stockpile volumes, earthwork projects and mining applications require accurate data regarding volumes and masses of soil and rock.
Often located in remote areas, earth moving projects can present significant challenges when it comes to collecting data through traditional surveying and monitoring methods. Rough terrain and limited road access can make traditional survey methods difficult, dangerous, and inefficient, and the data inaccurate, costing you valuable time and money.
The use of drone-based 3D LiDAR technology, such as the RedTail LiDAR System, can improve worksite management by producing real-time updates and earthwork calculations in a manner that does not impede the construction or mining process or endanger your crew.
Other advantages of using UAV based laser scanning for your earthmoving and volumetric calculation work include:
• site planning and coordination
• improved project planning and documentation
• development of accurate grading surface geometries
• rapid access to earthwork quantities and analysis
• real-time assessment of construction or mining progress
• remote monitoring by design engineers, project managers, architects, etc.
• early detection of errors in construction or mining procedures, resulting in cost and time savings
• data easily imports into commercial software packages for processing
Simply put, by comparing surface models captured at different points in time, the cut and fill of material can be monitored and documented. The data collected can be used to generate volumetric calculations of stockpiles and road cuts, before and after construction, to estimate and then validate quantities for billing.
The primary advantage of drone-based LiDAR is the ability to acquire high-resolution and highly accurate data about a site or structure, more quickly and safely than traditional optical survey and measurement methods.
Why Choose RedTail Lidar Systems?
The Red Tail LIDAR System was designed specifically for small unmanned aerial vehicles and combines the agility and operability of an UAV with a superior point cloud generation tool creating high-resolution, highly accurate, 3D maps of your project site with no interference to operations or activities.
With a line scan rate of 400 times per second and a pulse repetition rate of up to 400,000 pulses per second, even ground-point distribution, superior ranging capability, and optimized scan angles, the RedTail LiDAR System simplifies your operational needs while mitigating logistical challenges and dangers.
Other advantages include:
• Utilizing an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) reduces the risk to crew members, collects the data more quickly and can be accurately georeferenced
• Accurate, high-resolution data can be acquired in a minimal amount of time, with less manpower and no interference with operations or construction activities.
• Point clouds can be rotated, zoomed, and used for accurate distance and volume measurements.
• Safely and quickly gather measurements, like stockpile volumes, or determine cut and fill quantities over time, by monitoring from one date to the present.
Visit our web site to learn more about how RedTail LiDAR Systems can help you stream- line your earthmoving, monitoring and documenting needs.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org